| LESSON PLAN LINKS|
|| Lesson Plan Index Handouts this Session Homework this Session Powerpoint Slides this Session Online Interactive
Title: Nutritional Needs Of Adolescents|
Presenter's Name: Angela Rawls
Content Area: Nutrition
Session Number: 15
Handout: "Nutritional Needs"
Handout: "Nutritional Management"
Computer: "Word and Power Point Programs"
A PowerPoint Presentation is available to be used as a method of delivering this information. Download the slide presentation thru either the graphic above or the "quick link" at the top of the page.
"Healthful Living" Objectives Met:
Nutrition and Weight Management
|Goal One- Objectives 1, 3.4, 5
FOCUS and/or REVIEW
Why does anyone care about nutrition? Why is nutrition so important to overall health in your lives right now and in the future?
STATEMENT OF OBJECTIVES
- Recall the importance of nutrition to overall health
- Identify 3 different factors that affect body size
- List 4 common teen eating practices
- Identify 4 nutrient excesses in the teen diet
- Distinguish between good and bad fast food choices
- List 5 benefits of exercise to overall health
- Identify the 3 classified eating disorders and recall the signs and problems
associated with them
Introduction (Slide 1 and 2))
Leading Causes of Death in the US (Slide 3)
Growth and changes in Body composition and body size
- Discuss with students how nutrition plays a role in preventing some deaths
- Discuss with students the prevalence of overweight and obesity and its relationship to chronic diseases
- Discuss changes in height and body composition in males and females from ages 10-18 years old. (slides 4 and 5)
- Discuss the differences in body composition between females and males.
- Ask students to give input of their concerns
- Discuss the different factors involved in determining a desirable weight (slide 6)
- Discuss subjective and objective ways to evaluate body size (slide 7 and 8)
Common Teen Eating Practices
- Ask students to suggest some common eating practices that they see or do
- Discuss the eating practices that are common to teens and how they could be improved (slide 6)
Common Nutrient Excesses
- Discuss the most common excesses in the teen diet today (slide 8)
- Discuss what problems are associated with these excesses
- Discuss ways to decrease these nutrients in their diet
- Discuss fast food and how to make smart choices (handout/quiz)
Eating Disorders (slide 9 and handouts)
- Discuss with the students the three classified eating disorders
- Ask for student input concerning eating disorders, their prevalence and etiology
- Discuss some of the signs and problems associated with eating disorders
- Provide information on how to help if know someone who is struggling with an eating disorder or if they are struggling with one.
Exercise (slide 10 and 11)
- Discuss some of the benefits of exercise; ask students to suggest some
- Discuss some of the nutrients important for exercise and some nutrition myths related to exercise.
- Show students how to keep a diet and activity diary (Slides 12 and 13)
Give students "My Body Shape" handout and have them complete the worksheet using information learned in class to evaluate their own body size and shape (handout). Also have students determine their own Body Mass Index using the formula or the web site given in class. Both of these assignments will be used to help student prepare for the development of their own weight management plan in session #8.
- Review main points (slide 14)
- Review next session (slide 15)